Thursday, January 22, 2009

Thoughts on an Inauguration

I could have gone to Washington, D.C. to the big inauguration, but my helicopter broke. It's in pieces on the kitchen floor.

I could have taken a train to Washington, D.C., but all the trains were full.

I could have danced and sung and waved a flag in Washington.D.C., but then I heard there were going to be two million people all mashed together singing and dancing and waving flags, and what if they knocked me down and stepped on me and stuck flag sticks in my eyes?

I'm careful about stuff like that because once I was standing in an open truck with Frank Sinatra in Hoboken where he was born and everybody liked him. So there was a big crowd of admirers, and most of them were trying to reach up over the panel at the back of the truck and touch him, and the ones that leaped high enough were yanking buttons off his shirt, and shoving pieces of paper at him to sign, and they were screaming, and I thought, I am going to be dragged off this truck, and trampled on, and killed.

Fortunately, because of my extreme carefulness (it consisted of hanging on to Frank's coat and whimpering) nothing bad happened.

Anyhow, President Obama managed to get himself inaugurated, and i hope he didn't notice that I never showed up.

Right now, it's freezing in New York city but that's okay because I'm wearing mittens and a hat with ear muffs while I make the bed. Hot or cold, the world moves on, and a good thing is that President Obama seems eager to move with it.

No comments: